I love music. I love Christmas. I listen to all Christmas music all the time from now until December 25, I can’t help it. And I can’t help but compile a playlist. It would take me days to list all the tunes I love, but here are some of my favorites. Enjoy:
10. His Favorite Christmas Story by Capital Lights – it’s got a good beat and you can dance to it, plus I’m a sap.
9. You’re a Mean One, Mister Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft – da da da da da da
8. Children Go Where I Send Thee by Natalie Merchant –love the reminder to follow God’s plan, not mine
7. The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole – classic, makes me feel Christmasy everytime
6. Christmas Song by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds – a completely different song than number 7, but a powerful modern take on a classic story
5. What Child is This by Holly Starr – her voice penetrates my soul
4. Carol of the Bells by Barlow Girl – gorgeous harmony
3. This is Christmas by Kutless “What is Christmas if there never was a savior wrapped in a manger? What is Christmas without Christ?” These lyrics resonate
2. Little Drummer Boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby – could there be a more classic combo? The harmony with Bowie’s voice penetrating, “Peace on Earth” gives me goosebumps
1. Do They Know It’s Christmas by Live Aid –maybe it was the collaboration of everyone from Boy George to Bananarama to Bono, maybe it was the vibe of tens of thousands of people crammed into Wembley Stadium with millions more watching from home, but I believe it’s the lyrics of this song that make me catch my breath. “But say a prayer. Pray for the other ones.” How grateful I am, that I live in a warm house with running water, that I have a Christmas tree in the corner with gifts wrapped and piled underneath. On Christmas morning I’ll drink coffee and feast on fresh fruit and croissants. How about you? So don’t forget to pray for the other ones this Christmas. “Feed the world. Let them know it’s Christmastime.”
So, what did I leave out? What’s your favorite Christmas song?