An interview with Angel Star author, Jennifer Murgia
1. I loved Angel Star, your romantic drama revolving around angels. What was your inspiration to write this story?
~ Thank you! I’m so happy you enjoyed reading it! I’ve always been a fan of angels! The idea stemmed from a single question: what if the one person who was the absolute love of your life was untouchable, yet a constant presence in your life? This devastatingly romantic plot idea sprouted arms and legs, and became the relationship between Teagan and her Guardian Garreth.
2. How much of yourself did you put into the main character, Teagan?
~ I suppose the only similarities are that Teagan and I are both very quiet, a little introverted, and were raised by a single parent. With that said, I really didn’t put too much of myself into her character. Um, nope . . . definitely not . ..
3. The sensory imagery throughout the book is powerful. Is there a real incense you modeled Garreth’s scent from?
~ Yes! It’s called Champa and made by Blue Pearl. It’s an intoxicating scent – very calming. Like Garreth!
4. Is the breathtaking dilapidated, secluded chapel where several scenes in the book take place something from your imagination or from your real world?
~ A little of both, to be honest. Not too far from my home is a little retreat chapel called Saint Anne’s. It’s nestled back from the main road, surrounded by trees. It’s just a quiet place to light a candle, say a prayer, and feel renewed. I have a bit of a fascination with ruins, so I took the real Saint Anne’s and relocated it to the forgotten woods just outside of Hopewell, NJ.
5. Much like Twilight’s love triangle with Jacob and Edward and the Hunger Games’ Peeta and Gale, you have two hunky angels vying for Teagan’s attention. It’s impossible not to ask, who would you go for; Garreth or Hadrian?
~ Oh Hadrian – hands down! He was my most complex character to write and I thoroughly enjoyed exploring his dark mind. So yes, I’m definitely attracted to the bad boy. (But I love Garreth too!)
6. What one take-away would you like readers to get from Angel Star?
~ That an ordinary person can find a most extraordinary power within themselves – and that yes, it’s quite possible we have someone watching over us.
7. I’ve heard rumors that a prequel is in the works….anything you can share with us? Title? Release date? How far back in time it would take us?
~ The rumors are correct. I’m currently finishing up the prequel to Angel Star now. It’s not a full-length book like Angel Star or Lemniscate, but more a companion novella that centers on Lucifer’s fall from Grace and the impact it has on Hadrian. The story takes place a few centuries before now, and leads up to the time Teagan is a little girl (mainly when her father is still around). I’m still undecided on the title but as of now it's called Awaken, and not sure about a release date, but hope to have more information soon!
Thanks, Jennifer for the full scoop. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series you mentioned, Lemniscate, and I’ll definitely be looking forward to the prequel. Readers – any questions for Jennifer or any angel stories you’d like to share?